Recently have a chance to bake a cake samples for my cake websites (CakebyCath.com). This time I am trying the rainbow cake. It’s beautiful. Really steam up my passion to bake again..
Fondant is not meant for eating.. More into decoration purpose only. But it’s ok if you wanted to eat it..
Anyway I will put down the recipe here too. Enjoy!
~Rainbow Cake Recipe~
Note: This measurement is actually for a 9″ cake but I am using a 7″ instead. It make my cake thicker. Prefer it thinner to have a softer cake.
So.. Use 9″ (3 set.. I reused the same pan to bake the rest)
- 2 sticks Butter (The whole butter weigh at 227gm. I am using Anchor product), Room temperature.
- 1 cup sugar (I am using only 1 cup.. trying to make a less sweet cake here)
- 5 white eggs, room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla essence.
- 3 cups all purpose flour (You can try normal flour if you don’t have)
- 2 tablespoon Baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature.
- Food colouring.. Up to you.. rainbow colour. I am using Purple, Pink, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange. Use the Gel type of food colouring to get the vibrant colour.
- Prepare all the ingredients on your table.
- Preheat your oven at 180°C.
- Oil your pans. I am using the spray type of oil to coat my pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat Butter and sugar until creamy. Next add egg bit by bit. Lastly add the Vanilla until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour and milk alternately. Scrap in between to make sure all mixed well.
- Once done. Divide the batter into 6. I am using 6 bowls.. dividing them with a spoon. It’s accurate if you weigh the batter and divide into 6 for each bowl. But I am just lazy to do that.. so I am using my commonsense to divide.. :-p
- Add colour on each bowl. Pour each batter to each pan. Bake for 15minutes. I put 3 of the pan in my oven. It fits and bake well..
- Once 15minutes done. Cool the cake in a pan for about 10minutes then remove and transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling it before using.
- Wash the pan.. dry and oil it. Pour the other batter and bake.
- Once all done.. I start assembling my cake. Put the 1st layer on the cake board (Make sure to put a little bit cream underneath to make sure it doesn’t move when decorating). Spread butter cream and put 2nd layer on top and so on until finished.
- Coat cake with buttercream and lastly cover with fondant and decorate.
You are done. Wish you luck. I was using a cream cheese for my cream. You can search the recipe on the net.. or I will just post it here next time..